Hywel is a traditional Welsh boy’s names and although the name isn’t currently among the top 100 most popular Welsh names for boys (ONS, 2012), it’s still interesting to learn more about this name.
The Meaning of Hywel
Although Hywel is a very old name and its meaning cannot be guaranteed it reported that Hywel is a name that means “eminent” or “conspicuous.”
Famous and Notable Men named Hywel
- Hywel Dda, or “Hywel the Good,” ruled Wales between 880 and 950 A.D. He was a well-regarded king who codified Welsh laws.
- Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd was a 12th century Welsh prince, poet, and military leader.
- Hywel ap Rhodri Molwynog was the King of Gwynedd for 9 years in the 9th century.
- Saint Hywel is a minor saint from the Celtic-Christian faith of the 6th century.
- Hywel Harris, or Howell Harris, was a Welsh Methodist during the 18th century.
- Hywel Williams is a Plaid Cymru politician and representative for the constituency of Arfon, and former representative for the constituency of Caernarfon.
- Hywel Bennett is a British actor of both stage and screen.
- Hywel Gwynfryn is the Welshman who hosted the first Welsh-centric pop radio show, Helo Sut Dach Chi? on Radio Cymru.
- Our comprehensive list of Welsh boys names.